There are moments in everyone’s life when you feel like it’s time for a change. Same happened to me. Ok, ok, may be not as dramatic, as it was for Douglas Quaid in Total Recall.
So, in July this year I joined Technology Innovation & Developer Experience (DevEx) team at SAP. I remained located in Wrocław, Poland. Why?
- I’ve been working with SAP as a customer and as a partner for last 12 years and I felt I have developed some kind of DNA. I am not good in chemistry, so will stop here 🙂
- The company is going through very interesting changes and challenges making themselves more open and expanding their portfolio to have a broader impact on IT not only in ERP space
- I wanted to be a part of these changes. Not just me: Chris Turner, CTO of Unilever, joined SAP as well. Great minds think alike 😉 [Disclaimer: Chris is now the boss … of my boss at SAP :-]
- There are many great teams doing interesting things in SAP, and I was in talks with quite few of them.
- But DevEx gave me what I had been looking for: getting back to technology, coding, developers, try/fail/learn etc – all the good stuff that drove me when I first saw a computer (in a book ;-)) and wrote my first BASIC code (on a paper :-D) back in 1986.
- DevEx is behind some of the most interesting projects and events in SAP, including:
- Subjectively Wrocław is beautiful and one of the best cities to live, work and create; it reminds me San Francisco in many aspects.
- Wrocław was the host of FIBA EuroBasket 2009, UEFA Euro 2012 and will host 2014 FIVB Men’s Volleyball World Championship.
- The city has been selected as a European Capital of Culture for 2016. In 2017, Wrocław will host the World Games, a competition in 37 non-olympic sport disciplines.
- The only drawback, there is no ocean :~(
- Last, but not least: I wanted to stop travelling, and start spending more time with my family. That’s probably the reason why I am writing this post from Frankfurt airport while waiting for my plane to Orlando to bring me to ASUG SAP BusinessObjects User Conference. Therefore SBOUC will be the topic of my next post and my tweets during next few days.